Skip to Content

Teacher qualifications and registration

To teach in a Western Australian public school, including relief teaching, you must have a recognised tertiary teaching degree.

Teaching qualifications can be either:
  • a four year Bachelor of Education in one of the following areas:
    • early childhood education
    • primary education
    • middle years education
    • secondary education
    • other teaching specialisations
  • or a minimum of a three year degree, followed by a Graduate Diploma or Master of Teaching for a particular age group, for example, early childhood, primary or secondary. Any post-graduate initial teacher education course must be delivered at Australian Qualifications Framework Level 8 or above such as the post-graduate diploma (level 8) or Masters degree (level 9).
Professional registration

All teachers must be registered with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) to teach in Western Australia.

As an early childhood teacher, you plan and implement education programs for students between four and eight years old (Kindergarten to Year 2).

You must have a recognised early childhood qualification to teach in this area. You can find out if your qualification is recognised by visiting the Australian Children’s Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).

To become an early childhood teacher you need either:

  • a four year Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood, Kindergarten to Year 6 or 0-8 years Early Childhood Education/Childcare)


  • a minimum of a three year degree, followed by a Graduate Diploma or Master of Teaching specialising in early childhood education.

Prior teaching experience may be recognised for the purpose of a salary increase on appointment. Relevant experience other than teaching may be taken into consideration in unique circumstances and is based on skills directly related to teaching experience.  For all applications, you will need a statement of service from your previous employer/s detailing your work and leave history.

Teachers who are five year trained are recognised by the Department of Education. To be deemed five-year trained, teachers must have completed a minimum of 5 years of full-time study in approved courses of higher study.

When you are working with us you can apply by submitting an online application. For more information email us or phone 9264 4412.