Boarding Away from Home Allowance

Boarding Away from Home Allowance

Parents and guardians may be eligible for financial assistance when children are required to board away from home or live in a second home (away from their primary residence), to attend a Western Australian school from Kindergarten to Year 12.

Parents and guardians should speak directly to their boarding provider about the Boarding Away from Home Allowance (BAHA).

If you have a second home, contact our allowances coordinator at

You can apply if you:

  • receive the Australian Government Services Australia (Centrelink) Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) Boarding Allowance or Second Home Allowance
  • permanently reside in Western Australia
  • have children who attend a primary or secondary school located in WA and are living away from the primary family residence.

Applications must be completed each year.

To apply:

  1. Ask your boarding provider for a form or download the BAHA application form.
  2. Complete all relevant fields of the form.
  3. Attach a copy of your Centrelink AIC Boarding Allowance or Second Home Allowance entitlement letter for the current year.
  4. Email your completed application form and your Centrelink letter to us at

An application form is required for each child.

Applications for 2024 close on 29 November 2024.

The 2024 BAHA amount is $1,389 if your child boards for 4 terms. Pro-rata payments will be made if they board for a shorter time.

Payments will be made to the boarding provider for applicants residing at a Western Australia College of Agriculture or Department Residential College. Refer to Student Allowances Guidelines 2024.

Applicants residing at a private facility or second home can choose to have the BAHA paid directly to the boarding provider or to their own bank account.

Boarding providers will confirm the boarding period for each student in December each year, after which payments will be made.