If you are a pre-service teacher or school psychologist in your final year of study, you may be eligible for financial support to complete your practicum in one of our rural, regional or remote schools.
Check if you meet our eligibility requirements below.
You need to:
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen
- be residing in Western Australia
- be currently enrolled in a course leading to a graduate level teaching qualification, or approved post graduate psychology qualification
- have a course average of 60 per cent or more
- have a genuine interest in teaching in a WA public country school, or in seeking a country appointment with the Department of Education's School Psychology Service, after you graduate.
Your practicum must be:
- the longest practicum in your final year of study
- for a minimum of four full weeks and a maximum of 10 full weeks (the practicum can be longer but the maximum period of funding is 10 weeks)
- in one of five targeted education regions - Goldfields, Kimberley, Midwest, Pilbara or the Wheatbelt
- generally not undertaken at a school in a town where you live or be within an 80km radius of that town.
For more information on our schools visit Schools Online.
If you are unsure if your practicum or selected school is eligible, please contact us via email or phone 9264 4412.
How to apply
- Talk with your university practicum coordinator to organise a practicum in a rural, regional or remote public school.
- Complete and email the application form no later than four weeks before your practicum is due to start to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will email you regarding the outcome of your application. If your application is successful you can expect payment at least two weeks before your practicum starts.
The amount you receive for your return journey is based on our standard allowances for using the most cost effective method of travel. You are advised to research and reserve in advance where possible to minimise costs for late bookings, and to take advantage of fare specials. Please contact us via email or phone 9264 4412 to find out the exact travel allowance for each location.
The living subsidy is based on the education region where you undertake your practicum.
The current rates are:
- $290 a week for schools in the Remote Teaching Service
- $290 a week for schools in the Goldfields, Kimberley and Pilbara regions
- $220 a week for schools in the Midwest region
- $150 a week for schools in the Wheatbelt region.
Accommodation is difficult to find in some country areas. If you have access to accommodation, it may assist with your placement. Funding depends on you, your university, or the school finding suitable accommodation.
If you are successful you will be required to participate in an orientation session held prior to your practicum.
Priority areas are reviewed annually to ensure the program meets the workforce needs of the Department. Where application numbers exceed places available, priority will be given to students completing a secondary teaching qualification.
Program funding is only available once to each eligible student teacher or psychologist.
Participation in the program does not guarantee future employment in a WA public school.