I'm moving from interstate
If you are a qualified teacher and considering a move to WA, come and join us in public education.
As a teacher in a WA public school, you ensure every child has the opportunity to reach their full potential and receives an education regardless of their background and location.
By choosing public education, you make a difference in the lives of children and young people and receive great professional and personal benefits including:
- opportunities to work with students of different ages, backgrounds and teaching areas in over 800 locations across WA
- salaries among the highest in Australia with additional financial incentives for teaching in many rural and regional locations and all remote schools
- ongoing networking, professional development and career advancement opportunities
- exciting career pathways both through promotion to school leadership positions, such as principals and deputy principals and by achieving recognition as outstanding classroom practitioners, such as Level 3 Classroom Teachers.
As an interstate teacher, we provide relocation assistance for you and your family for all permanent and fixed-term (temporary) appointments of one school year or more. This includes your travel, and relocating your furniture, personal effects and vehicle.
- How you will be supported
- What you can earn
- Where you can teach
- How to apply for a teaching position
In additional to relocation assistance, as a public school teacher in WA you receive a range of benefits and support. You will be given an induction by your new school and have access to curriculum support to familiarise yourself with the context of curriculum delivery in Western Australia.
As a rural, regional or remote teacher, you may also be eligible for free or subsidised housing, depending on availability and the location of your appointment.
Teacher salaries in WA are among the highest in Australia ranging from $72,137 for four-year trained graduate teachers through to $111,089 for senior teachers. Our outstanding classroom practitioners receive a starting salary of $118,746 as Level 3 Classroom Teachers.
Teaching in a regional or remote school may attract additional allowances on top of your salary, which can be as high as $25,000 per year in some locations. When teaching at many of these schools, you will also receive free or subsided travel and accommodation.
You may also be eligible to receive recognition of your prior teaching service, when considering your starting salary.
Western Australia is an amazing and vast state with diverse teaching environments, and incredible places to see and things to do.
We currently have opportunities in our eight education regions that suit all skill levels and specialised teaching areas.
We have a number of vacancies in rural, regional and remote schools and our teachers often speak of the rewarding lifestyle, enhanced professional development and the opportunity to contribute to the wider community. These schools vary in location and size from large schools near city centres with over 1,000 students, through to remote communities with smaller groups of students in multi-age classes.
Our schools fill teaching vacancies in different ways depending on the location of the schools and the tenure of the position. As an interstate teacher, you can apply for jobs in metropolitan, regional and remote schools directly or through our various pools.
Advertised vacancies at individual schools
Schools often advertise individual vacancies and school-based pools. These jobs are advertised on our current jobs page, and JobsWA.
Most advertised positions will require you to submit a comprehensive CV and statement addressing the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) domains. Refer to the job advert and attachments for more detailed information, and supporting resources, on how to write your application.
Apply for our central pools
As well as applying for individual vacancies, you may also wish to apply for one of our central pools. These include:
- Fixed Term Teacher Pool for temporary/contract positions up to 12 months in duration
- Remote Teaching Service Pool used to fill positions in our 37 remote schools with. contracts of employment of up to 3 years, which may lead to permanency.
- Graduate Teacher Pool for teachers in their first two years of teaching and used to fill a range of temporary or permanent positions across the state.
Applying to these pools offers you the opportunity to be considered for positions in the schools that you have nominated in your application. We encourage you to make yourself as widely available as possible, to maximise your opportunity to get your dream job.
Principals will be able to access your application, and contact you to determine if you are a suitable candidate.
At the time of commencement in a WA public school, you must have a completed suitable Initial Teacher Education qualification. In addition, you must hold current:
- registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia
- Working with Children Check
- criminal screening, through our Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check
- working rights relevant to the role you are applying for.
You can apply for jobs before you have these, but must hold them before you start work. You may be eligible for mutual recognition with the Teachers Registration Board, if you hold registration in your home state.
Paul's teaching journey
Contact our Teach in WA team
Contact our Teach in WA team
Speak to someone from our team and discover the amazing opportunities for you in public education. Call us on (08) 9264 4412 or email TeachinWA@education.wa.edu.au