Standards for non-government schools
The Minister for Education and Training has determined non-government school registration standards.
Non-government schools in Western Australia are required to be registered by the Director General of the Department of Education.
Registration provides assurance to parents and the community that non-government schools meet the standards determined by the Minister and other requirements specified in Part 4 of the School Education Act 1999 and the School Education Regulations 2000.
The Minister for Education and Training determines the registration standards which apply to all non-government schools.
In August 2019 the Minister determined registration standards effective from 1 January 2020. Significant changes include:
- requiring all non-government schools to implement the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations;
- amending the list of critical and emergency incidents which must be reported to the Director General;
- explaining the record which must be kept of staff working with Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students; and
- further defining the eligibility requirements for enrolment in online-only learning.
Although all schools must be compliant with the new standards from the start of the 2020 school year, the following should be noted in respect of Independent schools applying for registration renewal:
- Schools whose registrations expire on or before 30 June 2020 will have their renewal applications assessed against the 2018-19 standards.
- Schools whose registrations expire on or after 1 July 2020 will have their renewal applications assessed against the 2020 standards.
A new Guide will shortly be produced and published providing more details about the 2020 standards and other requirements. The Guide is being prepared in consultation with AISWA and CEWA.
Standards for non-government schools as determined by the Minister for Education and Training, effective from 1 July 2018 to 31 December 2019.Download Size: 610kB
This guide sets out and explains the registration standards and other requirements guiding the decisions of the Director General of the Department of Education about registration of non-government schools.Download Size: 520.7kB
A school wishing to make certain changes to its registration must apply to the Director General for approval using this form.Download Size: 592.2kB
Use this form to renew a non-government school registration. Schools may be asked to provide further information using Part C.Download Size: 492.4kB