Overseas qualified teachers

Join us and shape the future of young people and their communities across Western Australia.

View current opportunities

I’m moving from overseas

With over 800 public schools in locations across our state, we offer endless opportunities to live and teach Western Australia.

As a public school teacher in WA, you ensure every child has the opportunity to receive a high quality education regardless of their background and location.

Our vast state is over 2.5 million square kilometres and provides a diverse range of teaching positions across eight education regions with great professional and personal experiences.

We are recruiting qualified and experienced secondary teachers from the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa to teach in our regional public schools.
To teach in Western Australian public schools, you must hold a minimum qualification of an:
  • undergraduate Bachelor of Education or equivalent; or
  • undergraduate degree with a postgraduate teaching qualification such as a PGCE or Professional Master of Education.
Please note that the Department of Education does not recognise the Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) certification as a stand-alone Initial Teacher Education qualification.

All teachers in public schools must: All employees must hold appropriate working rights. These may be temporary or permanent, depending on the role you are applying for. If you do not have working rights, we may sponsor you through an employer sponsored visa.
Teaching in Western Australia’s public schools can provide you with fantastic benefits, ongoing professional development and career advancement opportunities.

Teacher salaries in WA are among the highest in Australia ranging from $78,397 (AUD) for four-year trained graduate teachers through to $117,854 for senior teachers. Our outstanding classroom practitioners receive a starting salary of $122,308 as Level 3 Classroom Teachers. You will also have access to 12 weeks paid leave per year (school holidays). In addition to your salary, you may receive locality and additional allowances as high as $35,000 per year in some regional locations, if you relocate by 2023.

Many regional locations offer free subsided housing and may also be eligible for generous allowances to reimburse initial utility connection fees, wear and tear on furniture, subsidised air conditioning, gas, hot water and vacation travel, and rent essential furniture through our housing program. Additional benefits and allowances depend on your location and can be viewed using our benefits calculator.
If you are a secondary teacher from the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada or South Africa and relocating to a regional public school, you are eligible for relocation support and a range of visa sponsorship options.

We are currently unable to supply relocation and visa support to teachers who:
  • do not hold secondary teaching qualifications
  • are qualified teachers outside of the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.
If you are a qualified teacher interested in teaching in Western Australia you are able to independently relocate and apply for working rights through the Department of Home Affairs.

Contact our Teach in WA team

Contact our Teach in WA team

Speak to someone from our team and discover the amazing opportunities for you in public education.
Call us on (08) 9264 4412 or email TeachinWA@education.wa.edu.au

Email us