Register with us for a swimming career
To work with us, you need to be at least 17 years old and have qualifications we recognise.
You need a photograph or digital copy of your current:
- CPR certificate and swimming instructor qualification, if you’re a swimming instructor
- if you have a SWIM Coaches and Teachers Australia (SAT) qualification, you also need to upload a secondary form of photo ID, like a driver's licence or passport
- Surf Bronze Medallion or Surf Rescue Certificate, if you’re a water safety officer.
You don’t need to wait until you receive your Working with Children Check card, AUSTSWIM license card or CPR certificate to register. We temporarily accept a:
- Working with Children Check receipt
- confirmation email from AUSTSWIM, with:
- details of your license allocation
- the date of the email
- the details of the sender and recipient
- temporary CPR certificate from an authorised Royal Life Saving Community Aquatic trainer.
Upload these documents to your WAIVS account. We amend their expiry date to reflect the temporary arrangement. You receive a system-generated email one month before this expires.
When you receive formal proof, upload these to your WAIVS account.
Follow this process to register with us as a new swimming instructor or water safety officer.
- If you’re 18 years or older, apply for a Nationally coordinated criminal history check.
- You can’t start work until you have this clearance. It must be less than 6 months old when you start new employment or your industry training.
- Register for a WAIVS new instructor account.
- Upload your qualifications or temporary proof to your WAIVS account for us to review.
- If we approve your qualifications, we notify you by email.
- If we don’t approve your qualifications, we notify you by email. Log into WAIVS and check the ‘to do’ list on the homepage to make the changes we request.
- Once we approve your qualifications, apply for a Working with Children Check. We need to complete parts 5, 6 and 7 of your original application form. Either:
- mail or deliver your form to us at 33 Giles Avenue, Padbury, 6025
- ask a public school principal to complete parts 5, 6 and 7 of the form, if you live in a regional location. Mail the form to us at 33 Giles Avenue, Padbury, 6025.
- To upload proof of your clearances, log into WAIVS.
- From the ‘to do’ list on the homepage, select the task to ‘Supply your clearances’.
- This task only appears once we approve your qualifications.
- Upload a photograph or digital copy of your Working with Children Check card (from step 4). If you’re 18 years or older, you also need to provide the screening clearance number from your nationally coordinated criminal history check (from step 1).
- We notify you by email once we approve your clearances.
- If we don’t approve them, we notify you by email. Log into WAIVS and check the ‘to do’ list on the homepage to make the changes we request.
You’re ready to apply for a job with us.
Pay rates for swimming staff
Swimming instructors and water safety officers are paid as casual employees and receive a competitive salary.
Become a swimming instructor or water safety officer
Swimming instructors and water safety officers must have certain qualifications and clearances to get a job with us.