Overseas and interstate applicants

Overseas and interstate applicants

Overseas and interstate families who plan to return or relocate to WA can apply for a Gifted and Talented program for their child.

Your child will be required to meet specific criteria throughout the application process to be eligible for a Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Entrance program.

To be eligible, your child must either be:

  • an Australian or New Zealand citizen
  • a permanent residence visa holder
  • a temporary visa holder with a local enrolment entitlement classification in the Enrolment Framework for Students with a Visa in Public Schools
  • in the process of obtaining any of the above with the reasonable expectation it will be approved prior to the school enrolment deadline for 2024.

A student enrolled as a Secondary Exchange Student is not eligible to apply or enrol in Gifted and Talented programs.

Families living interstate or overseas will be required to show evidence of their child’s enrolment and attendance in a non-Western Australian (WA) school. Overseas or interstate ASET testing cannot be approved due to family holidays or extended trips where out-of-WA school enrolment and attendance cannot be verified.

If your child is offered a place in a Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Entrance program, you will need to provide evidence that they meet residency criteria in order to complete enrolment at the school.

If a place is offered or an enrolment is made on the basis of false or misleading information, the offer or enrolment will be terminated.

When submitting your child’s online application, you must attach your child’s most recent school report showing their enrolment in a school outside Western Australia (WA), and in a year level equivalent to the current testing intake (for example, Year 5 in 2022 for entry into Year 7 in 2024).

Where an equivalent intake can't be established, or overseas or interstate school enrolment and attendance can't be verified, we reserve the right to go by the child’s date of birth or to offer local testing in WA only.

Once an overseas or interstate applicant has been approved for testing, the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) will contact you to arrange testing.

You will be required to source the services of an appropriate third-party invigilator who will administer the testing at an approved location.

An invigilator:

  • must have a relevant qualification
  • cannot be affiliated with the student or their family
  • may be required to show evidence of employment that has no ties to tutoring companies or any other service that might present as a conflict of interest.

Invigilators will need to sign a confidentiality agreement and agree to the terms and conditions.

You will be required to meet all costs associated with testing from your nominated invigilator and ACER. 

ACER charges for the 2023 testing will be communicated to you once you have been approved for testing and will cover courier, handling and secure storage. Payment will need to be made in full, prior to the sending of secure materials. Where payment is not made to ACER prior to the stated deadline, test packages will not be sent and the child’s application may be cancelled.

It is important to note that the overseas and interstate testing schedule cannot be postponed or delayed due to an inability to meet the required costs.

ACER estimate the 2023 charges as follows:

  • interstate applicants AUD$125
  • overseas applicants AUD$180.

If your child is successful and you indicate you want to accept an offer of placement, you will be required to complete the overseas/interstate applicant eligibility form to confirm your child's eligibility. 

Your child will need to meet the following essential enrolment criteria:

  1. Details of primary carer
    • the primary carer must be a parent or blood relative over the age of 21 living in WA. They will need to provide accommodation and welfare for the child for the duration of the secondary schooling.
  2. Proof of Western Australian (WA) residential address connected to the primary carer
    • enrolment in Gifted and Talented programs requires a child and their primary parent or carer’s usual place of residence to be in WA. Successful overseas or interstate applicants need to provide evidence of a WA home address connected to the child’s existing primary parent or carer.
  3. Enrolment in Gifted and Talented Secondary programs requires that the applicant has either
    • an Australian or New Zealand citizen or
    • a visa that qualifies them for non-fee paying local enrolment entitlement.

Note: Residential colleges or boarding houses cannot be used for a verified WA home address or primary parent or carer.

Inability to meet one or more of the above criteria will result in an offer of placement being withdrawn. Once the criteria are met and approved by the Department of Education WA, you can enrol your child at the school.

Contact our team

Contact our team

For more information about Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Entrance programs, call 9264 4307 or email gtsu@education.wa.edu.au

Email us