WA Public Secondary Schools' Choral Festival
Date: Saturday 2 September 2023
Venue: Churchlands Senior High School
Eligibility: The WA Public Secondary Schools’ Choral Festival is open to public secondary school choirs with members attending the same school, under the direction of an Instrumental Music School Services teacher or a classroom music teacher from the school.
There are four divisions in the festival:
- Novice: beginner/inexperienced choirs at any year level.
- Open: any choirs, including compulsory and non-compulsory choirs.
- Show: choirs presenting a show-style performance with a program including the use of harmonies in the arrangements. These choirs may use a recorded backing. There will be no microphone provided for soloists.
- Audition: students at any year level selected for membership of the choir by audition. Auditioned chamber choirs will fit into this category.
Applications: To be announced.
Tickets: Entry to the festival is free to all public secondary schools.
The aims of the WA Public Secondary Schools' Choral Festival are to provide:
- a choral performance opportunity for all secondary students
- choirs with an opportunity to hear others perform
- each choir with constructive comments from informed adjudicators.
Each participating choir is expected to present a program of up to 2 songs with a performing time of up to 10 minutes.
Choirs will be part of a 90-minute timeslot with other choirs. Choirs will warm up prior to the allocated timeslot then take seating in the concert hall and move to and from the stage for performance as required.
Photographs of participating choirs from the 2022 festival are available for viewing and purchase at ProPhotoBooth. Use the password 'choral22'.
One of the reasons for the outstanding success of the festival is the contribution made by volunteers. Some of the tasks we need volunteers for include stage management and marshalling.
Volunteering is a great way to meet other directors and hear ensembles from other schools and divisions.
If you are interested in volunteering, register for your preferred session or sessions using the online database.