Casual relief teaching

Casual relief teaching

Casual relief teachers play an important role in schools, teaching students when their regular teacher is unavailable.

Public schools are open for students to attend classes. Schools will need to source and appoint relief staff as they regularly do throughout the school year. 

Casual relief teaching refers to casual teaching work in a public school for less than 20 consecutive days. Individual schools are responsible for the employment of relief teachers as and when required.

If you are interested in relief teaching, please read the information below and submit your online expression of interest.


To teach in a Western Australian public school, including relief teaching, you must have a recognised tertiary teaching degree. Check the eligibility criteria to ensure you meet the requirements to teach in a Western Australian public school.



Consider where you would like to work. You can find out more about individual schools by visiting Schools Online.


Complete our online expression of interest form. You will be asked information about your eligibility to work as a relief teacher and where you would like to work.


If you don’t already have a Working With Children Check (Western Australian) card you must apply within five days of starting relief teaching.

The school will submit a commencement form and generate your employee identification number (known as your E number or ID) when you start work.

Visit Schools Online to find school contact details.


Contact our Teach in WA team

Contact our Teach in WA team

Speak to someone from our team and discover the amazing opportunities for you in education.
Call us on (08) 9264 4412 or email

Email us