Freedom of information

Freedom of information

The Western Australian Freedom of Information Act 1992 creates a general right of access to information held by all state and local government agencies. This includes records in the control of the Department.

Our general approach is to provide access to information promptly and at the lowest reasonable cost.

There are limitations to access and these are outlined in the Freedom of Information Act 1992. Find more information about the Freedom of Information Act on the Office of the Information Commissioner website. 

Information Statement

Our Information Statement is an overview of our structure and functions, the kinds of information we hold, and the procedures to obtain information or have amendments made to information that is out of date, misleading or inaccurate.

Direct release

You can request personal information outside of the Freedom of Information process. We call this direct release. 

Direct Release allows you to request personal information that the Department holds, and includes records such as:

  • enrolment
  • admission
  • attendance
  • school academic reports

Information about third parties is removed before release of these records.

If you are a current student or a parent of a current student, please contact the school directly for the information you need.

Former students and authorised third parties acting on behalf of former students must lodge their request in writing. Use the Former Student Application for Access to Documents to lodge your request.

To apply

To lodge a Freedom of Information application download the relevant form below. 

Note: Forms will need to be opened in Adobe Reader, Standard or Professional DC to submit directly via email.

Electronic application

Use the FOI electronic application form to lodge your request.

Postal or in person application 

Complete the FOI post or in person application form to submit your request. 

If you require assistance with the FOI application, please contact the Information Access team who will guide you through the process.

Telephone: (08) 9264 4564
Address: 151 Royal Street, East Perth WA 6004 (entry off Hill Street)