Non-government school registration
Regulation, review and funding of non-government schools.
The Department facilitates school education through its roles in school regulation and review.
These roles include:
- registering non-government schools and administering state government financial assistance
- approving alternatives to attending a non-government school in the compulsory years
- assessing community based courses for endorsement
- regulating international school education providers
- advising the Minister for Education
The Non-Government School Regulation directorate (NGSR) administers the school registration and compliance functions of the Department in respect of Part 4 of the School Education Act 1999. NGSR has published a regulatory statement which describes their regulatory role, purpose and method.