New High Priority Maintenance and Minor Works program
The State Government has announced a $200 million minor works and maintenance program for schools.
All public schools received an initial funding amount for priority maintenance and upgrades or refurbishments at their school.
The majority of the funding will be used to address maintenance and minor works in public schools over the next two years. Principals will advise their parents and school community of any works occurring on their school site.
This significant investment in public school infrastructure will ensure our students across the State are learning in the best possible environments. We are focused on ensuring schools can better support the growing numbers of students in modern, first class facilities.
Redevelopment of secondary schools include:
- A redevelopment to expand and upgrade Balcatta Senior High School to be completed in 2021 ($50 million)
- Kinross College will benefit from works commencing to refurbish facilities ($2.5 million)
- Construction will commence at Darling Range Sports College, providing upgrades to the school’s design and technology, visual arts, canteen, music and general classrooms ($10 million)
- Construction will start at Wanneroo Secondary College for a new sports hall and hardcourts ($5 million)
- Work continues at Southern River College ($8.4 million)
- John Forrest Secondary College planning will continue for a major upgrade to replace outdated specialist facilities ($50 million)
- Mount Lawley Senior High School planning will commence to provide new facilities ($4 million).
Construction continues on:
- Stage 2 facilities at Aveley Secondary College, being designed, built, financed and maintained under a State Government Public Private Partnership
- Major additions at Broome Senior High School ($19.325 million)
- A new cafeteria at Bunbury Senior High School ($5 million)
- The STEM Centre at Newton Moore Senior High School ($3 million)
- Refurbishments at Albany Secondary Education Support Centre and replacement teaching areas at North Albany Senior High School ($9.825 million)
- Development of a new Science block at Eaton Community College ($5 million)
- Stage 2 facilities at Yanchep Secondary College ($13.7 million).
Upgrades and additions will take place at the following primary schools:
- Victoria Park Primary School planning will continue for a permanent two storey building ($7.1 million)
- Construction for a new Child and Parent Centre at Arbor Grove Primary School in Ellenbrook will commence ($1.75 million)
- Construction for a new early childhood facility at Kinross Primary School will start ($1.6 million).
- Construction will continue for the redevelopment of Yanchep Lagoon Primary School ($15 million)
- Planning will continue for the redevelopment of Mount Lockyer Primary School ($15.2 million)
- Works will continue on the Kindergarten/Pre-primary block at Flinders Park Primary School ($2.5 million)
- Works will continue on the Kindergarten/Pre-primary and general learning block at South Bunbury Primary School ($5.5 million).
Performing arts facilities will be developed at the following schools:
- Belridge Secondary College ($5 million)
- Belmont City College ($5 million)
- Ocean Reef Senior High School ($5 million)
- Ballajura Community College ($5 million).
We continue to boost science in schools to prepare students for future jobs in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
$3 million was invested in 2019-20 to convert 51 primary classrooms across the State into science laboratories.
Thirty regional schools will have solar panels installed under a $5 million sub-program as part of the State's $200 million high priority maintenance and minor works program for schools.
This sub-program will reduce the school's greenhouse gas emissions by more than 2 000 tonnes each year - the equivalent of taking around 400 cars off the road.
Investing in solar for schools will provide safe, reliable and cleaner energy, reduce school energy costs, and opportunities for students to learn first-hand about renewable energy, while also making the State cleaner and more sustainable.
Rooftop solar systems will be supplied and installed at these participating schools:
- Baler Primary School
- Baynton West Primary School
- Cascade Primary School
- Cassia Primary School
- Castletown Primary School
- Condingup Primary School
- Derby District High School
- Esperance Primary School
- Esperance Senior High School
- Halls Creek District High School
- Hedland Senior High School
- Karratha Primary School
- Karratha Senior High School
- Laverton School
- Leonora District High School
- Looma Remote Community School
- Meekatharra District High School
- Millars Well Primary School
- Munglinup Primary School
- Norseman District High School
- Nulsen Primary School
- One Arm Point Remote Community School
- Pegs Creek Primary School
- Port Hedland Primary School
- Salmon Gums Primary School
- Scaddan Primary School
- South Hedland Primary School
- Tambrey Primary School
- Wiluna Remote Community School
- Wyndham District High School.