Be a swimming instructor
We are looking for VacSwim and Interm Swimming instructors and water safety officers to teach children the vital skills of swimming.
We want friendly and outgoing people who love the water and who can help run a successful program.
All of our instructors hold:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety or ASCTA Swim Teacher Australia qualification
- current CPR certificate
- current Working with Children Check card
- Department of Education Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check.
*Water safety officers are not required to hold an AUSTSWIM licence but do require a Surf Rescue or Surf Bronze Medallion.
To be eligible to be a swimming instructor or water safety officer you will need to be at least 17 years old.
Swimming staff employed by the Department must complete a Practical proficiency review and display competency at the time of their appointment. Refer to Swimming staff – Information and employment conditions.
How to apply
Information on eligibility, clearances and how to apply
- Clearances for swimming instructors and water safety officers
- New instructors and water safety officers
- Instructors who have worked with us before
- Practical placement opportunity for AUSTSWIM candidates
- Applying for relief work
- Employment conditions and forms
New applicants can apply for their Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check at any time, and you should apply for this early as you cannot start work until you have approval.
To apply for a Working with Children Check we require you to register online and upload a copy of your current AUSTSWIM or ASCTA accreditation or Surf Bronze Medallion or Surf Rescue Certificate and CPR certificate.
Once these have been approved, complete an application for a Working with Children Check card. The Department of Education is required to complete parts 5, 6 and 7 of the original application form. To get this signed:
- mail or hand deliver your completed form to the Swimming and Water Safety team
- in country areas ask public school principals to sign on behalf of the Swimming and Water Safety team.
Copies of all qualifications and clearances must be current, uploaded to the registration system and approved by the Swimming and Water Safety team. All staff will receive an email 30 days before a qualification expires as a reminder and another email when it does expire, failure to keep your qualifications up to date or supply valid documentation will result in appointments being withdrawn.
If you haven’t worked with us before, you will need to:
- Register online. Once your registration is complete you will be emailed a username and password to log in.
- Login and follow the prompts to complete your registration. This includes uploading clear copies of your:
AUSTSWIM or ASCTA card with photo identification and expiry date (for swimming instructors)
Statement of Attainment of Surf Bronze Medallion or Surf Rescue Certificate with photo identification (for water safety officers)
- CPR certificate.
The system will log users out if left inactive; we advise having a photograph or scan of your qualifications ready to upload.
- The Swimming and Water Safety team will review these qualifications, and notify you by email if your qualifications have been approved. If they have not been approved, you will need to log back into the system and go through your to do list on the front page to make any requested changes.
- Once approved, log back into the system and on the to do list will be an action to supply your clearances (please note this will only appear once your qualifications have been approved). Clicking on this will take you to the clearances page where you can upload a copy of your Working with Children Check card and supply details of your National Police History Check from the Department’s screening unit (evidence of this screening is not required).
- The Swimming and Water Safety team will then review your clearances, and you will be notified by email if your clearances have been approved or rejected. If rejected you will need to log back in to WAIVS and go through your to do list on the front page to make any requested changes.
- Once approved you can apply for positions and will be considered for work as long as your qualifications and clearances remain current.
If you have worked with us before and are registered and approved to work, you can apply for positions online.
- Login online in as an existing instructor.
- Use apply for programs to add your preferences.
- Select the programs you wish to register your interest for and press apply.
- Complete three steps for each program:
- select a position (instructor/supervisor/water safety officer)
- complete your availability (including the separate availability for relief boxes if you are available for relief work)
- choose centres you are available to work at (there is no limit on how many centres you can choose).
- Click submit.
AUSTSWIM candidates who are interested in employment with us are invited to complete the practical component of the swimming instructor training course.
We provide swimming lessons for children across the State through our Interm and VacSwim swimming programs.
All swimming instructor positions are casual meaning instructors have no guarantee of ongoing employment.
We offer instructors the opportunity for regular, ongoing training in all programs.
In order to complete the practical component of the course with the Department, you need to:
- be at least 17 years of age
- have attended an AUSTSWIM course and successfully completed the online component
- hold a current recognised CPR certificate
- have required clearances if 18 years or older
- complete the application form
- be available for a two week block of lessons (morning or afternoon). Competency can be achieve early in the two weeks however we request you take the opportunity to see a 10 day block of lessons from beginning to end.
Clearances (18 years or older)
If you are 18 years or older, the following clearances are required:
- A valid and fully paid Department of Education Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) with specific Department of Education checks.
- A current Department for Child Protection Working with Children Check card (WWCC), or have applied for one.
Working with Children Check (WWCC) forms are available from Australia Post outlets. Please note the Department of Education is required to complete parts 5, 6 and 7 of the original application form. To get this signed:
- mail or hand deliver your completed form to the Swimming and Water Safety team
- in country areas ask public school principals to sign.
Booking a placement
When you have the documents below you can then book a placement:
- practical hours application form
- copy of your AUSTSWIM user report congratulations page that confirms successful completion of the theory exam
- copy of your current CPR certificate
- copy of the letter of the Department of Education screening (if 18 years or older)
- copy of your Working With Children card or receipt of application (if 18 years or older)
You will need to email all of these documents to:
- All documents must be received at least seven working days before the start of a program.
- A confirmation email from Swimming and Water Safety must be received before starting a placement. If you have any queries please contact the Swimming and Water Safety team on the emails listed above.
Relief work is also managed through our online system. When applying for programs or editing preferences make sure to check the boxes to confirm your availability for relief work to show you are interested in working relief shifts.
Department of Education employee details form
Department of Education Code of Conduct
Swimming staff - information and employment conditions
Physical Contact with Students flyer
Guide to WAIVS Paysheet - Information for Instructors
Guide to WAIVS Paysheet - Information for Centre Supervisors
Guide to WAIVS Paysheet - Information for Regional Advisors
Request for Travel Assistance Form
Working With Children Check Reimbursement Form
Superannuation standard choice form