Education support professional experience
We provide pre-service teachers with funding and additional support when completing their professional experience in an education support setting in the Perth metropolitan area.
Pre-service teachers completing their professional experience can receive up to $250 per week when completing a placement in one of our education support centres or schools. Funding is only available to those who are in their third or fourth year of a Bachelor of Education, or first or second year of a Master of Teaching. We fund placements that are between 4 and 10 weeks long.
In addition to financial subsidies, participants have access to our induction program and ongoing support.
Before selecting a school, you first need to meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for funding:
- be residing in and planning to commence your teaching career in Western Australia
- be currently enrolled in a course leading to a graduate level teaching qualification, or approved post-graduate qualification
- have a course average of 60 % or more.
- Before applying, you will need to talk with your university professional experience team to organise an education support school placement.
- When you are ready to apply, download and complete an application form and follow the submission instructions provided on the form.
- We will review your application and email you regarding the outcome.
- If your application is successful, payment is normally processed 2 weeks before your placement commences.
Key dates for 2023 professional experiences
All applicants must attend an induction, as well as reflection and professional learning sessions. Refer to the following table for dates.
We will provide you with details before the sessions.
|Placement||Application due||Orientation||Reflections on professional experience|
|Term 2||Monday, 27 March 2023||Thursday, 6 April 2023||Friday, 21 July 2023|
|Term 3||Monday, 5 June 2023||Thursday, 15 June 2023||Friday, 13 October 2023|
|Term 4||Monday, 11 August 2023||Thursday, 21 September 2023||To be confirmed|
Please be aware we receive a high volume of applicants and are unable to support all who apply for our program. We recommend you submit your application prior to the due date.
Participation in the program does not guarantee future employment in a public school.
We review and update this information regularly to ensure the program meets the workforce needs of the Department. Where necessary, priority will be given to students completing a secondary teaching qualification.
Arrange your placement
If you would like to undertake a professional experience placement at one of our public schools, speak to your University Professional Experience team directly.
Incomplete applications will not be assessed.
Email us if you are unsure if your professional experience or selected school is eligible.