Terms and conditions
To be considered for an award, you must meet the following terms and conditions of entry.
- Nominations can only be submitted by Western Australian public school staff, public school council/board chairs and parent and citizen’s association presidents. Students and individual parents are not eligible to submit a nomination.
- Self-nomination in staff award categories is not accepted.
- Nominations must be submitted online via the online nomination system by 5.00pm, Wednesday 21 July 2021.
- Nominations and written statements must use the template provided on the website and use size 11 Arial font. School, deputy principal and individual staff nominations must not exceed two pages. Principal nominations must not exceed one page.
- All sections of the nomination must be completed.
- By entering the awards, staff and schools agree for their photographs, profiles and other details to be used for promotional purposes by the Department of Education and Government of Western Australia.
- Nominees must be employed by the Department of Education.
- A nominee (either individual or school) may only be nominated in one award category in any year.
- Nominees must be working in the school and position they are being nominated for at the time the nomination is lodged, with reasonable belief they will be in the role during 2021 and 2022.
- Principals currently undertaking leadership roles in central and regional services who have the reasonable belief they will return to their schools during 2021 or 2022 are also eligible.
- Previous nominees and finalists of a category may be nominated again in the same category.
- Previous winners of a category may only be nominated in the same category after a period of two years. For example, winners from 2018 and earlier are eligible for nomination in the same category in 2021, but winners from 2019 are not.
- Nominees expecting to retire before the end of December 2021, or those taking extended periods of leave during 2021 and 2022, must disclose this at the time of nomination. These nominees may not be put forward for the selection of finalists and winners.
- Joint nominations for staff operating on a tandem, team or job-share basis will not be accepted.
- Joint nominations for schools operating in partnership will not be accepted.
- Posthumous nominations are not accepted.
- Nominated staff must read the nomination and signify their agreement to being involved in the awards before it is submitted.
- Nominations for teacher, support staff and deputy principal awards must be endorsed by the nominee’s principal.
- Nominations for principal awards must be endorsed by the chair of the board/council, nominator (if not the board/council chair) and their Director of Education.
- Nominations for whole-school awards must be endorsed by the principal, chair of the board/council, nominator (if not the principal or board/council chair) and their Director of Education.
- All nominations for principal and whole-school awards must be endorsed by their Director of Education. This includes nominations from Independent Public Schools, where the Director of Education is acting under the authority of the Director General.
- Once nominations are submitted, all staff nominations will be subject to further endorsement by Corporate Executive and Standards and Integrity. The Department may refuse to proceed with a nomination at any time where a nominee is under investigation or has unresolved issues with the Department or another government agency.
- Judges will not assess nominations over the specified page limits.
- All nominees must agree to abide by the decisions of the judging panels. No appeals will be considered.
- Due to the number of entries and the capacity of judging panels, no feedback will be provided on nominations submitted.
Finalists and winners
- All finalists must agree to be present at their school for the site visit to be conducted by the judges who will visit each finalist to speak with them, school staff, students, parents and referees to help determine winners.
- Winners will be announced in Term 4 at a presentation breakfast. Finalists will receive an invitation to attend this event. Finalists must attend this event to remain eligible.
- Travel and accommodation expenses (for one night) will be met for finalists to travel from locations outside of the Perth metropolitan area for the presentation event. Travel and accommodation expenses will not be met for their guests, principals or directors.
- All staff award winners must agree to be ambassadors in promoting the awards and their profession.
Prize money expenditure
- Staff award winners must allocate half of their prize money to cover professional development. This may include, but is not limited to, course costs, travel, accommodation and leave to undertake a professional learning activity.
- School award winner prize money may be allocated towards implementing programs in the school, professional development for staff, student resources, and other suitable activities.
- All professional development must be completed within the following calendar year. If the payment awarded is not fully spent within that calendar year, the unspent amount must be returned.
- Winners will be required to complete a form detailing the professional development they will undertake as well as the aims and expected outcomes.
- Winners are required to submit a report detailing the outcomes of their professional development within one month of having completed the professional development.
Nomination prize for public schools
- By nominating in the WA Education Awards, entrants agree to abide by these terms and conditions.
- The nomination prize competition will run from 12noon on Tuesday 4 May 2021 until 5pm on Friday 8 July 2021.
- All valid nominations go into the draw to win a prize consisting of a 75” interactive screen, valued at up $8,000, installed in a Western Australian public school, from K2 Audiovisual.
- The prize will be awarded to the first valid nomination selected at random on Monday 26 July 2021 at the East Perth office of the Department of Education.
- The prize winner will be announced at the WA Education Awards presentation breakfast event in Term 4, 2021.
- The prize is not redeemable for cash and is non transferrable.
- The final draw cannot be contested. No correspondence will be entered into.
You may also be interested in
You may also be interested in
WA Education Awards
Passionate educators are shaping the future through education. Who deserves your recognition? Nominations are now open.