Kimberley Schools Project
Aboriginal children make up more than 60 per cent of the Kimberley’s school population and many of them face significant challenges to complete their education.
The Kimberley Schools Project aims to strengthen education of children in the area. It builds on existing strategies to accelerate all children’s learning, with a focus on Aboriginal children, by empowering school communities, developing teaching and engagement at schools and bridging the gap between the two.
The project supports principals and teachers to deliver targeted teaching tailored to the specific needs of students in the Kimberley.
The project is a collaboration between the Department of Education, Catholic Education Western Australia, the Association of Independent Schools Western Australia and the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
How the Kimberley Schools Project is working with schools
The Kimberley Schools Project is comprised of four integrated areas:
- Targeted teaching: evidence-based literacy teaching strategies and quality materials with frequent measurement of progress to inform planning and delivery.
- Better early years learning and care: community co-design initiatives that build on and improve existing services, and engage families as first teachers.
- Regular attendance: community partnerships to deliver strategies that aim to resolve issues of non-attendance in particular communities.
- Increased student and community engagement: co-designed community initiatives that build positive relationships between the school and the community.
Intake one schools (2018)
- Bayulu Remote Community School
- Dawul Remote Community School
- Derby District High School
- Djugerari Remote Community School
- Kalumburu Remote Community School
- La Grange Remote Community School
- Looma Remote Community School
- Nyikina Mangala Community School
- Wangkatjungka Remote Community School
- Wyndham District High School
Intake two schools (2019)
- Broome North Primary School
- Broome Primary School
- Halls Creek District High School
- East Kimberley College
- Muludja Remote Community School
- Ngalapita Remote Community School
- Roebuck Primary School
- Wananami Remote Community School
- Warlawurru (Redhill) Catholic School
Intake three schools (mid-year 2019)
- Fitzroy Valley District High School
- Jungdranung Remote Community School
- Kimberley School of the Air
Intake four schools (2020)
- Holy Rosary School
Intake five schools (2021)
- Nullagine Primary School