Establish a new school
Proposing to establish a new non-government school requires 2 steps.
1. Apply for advance determination
Governing bodies can apply for advance determination to be granted by the Minister for Education.
To apply, governing bodies must complete and submit an Application for advance determination.
An application for advance determination must be submitted at least 18 months before the school is planning to open unless the Minister approves a shorter period (see School Education Act 1999, section 157A).
Before completing the application form, governing bodies are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the following information:
If the Minister does not make an advance determination, the applicant may seek a review of the Minister’s decision.
For more information about the advance determination process, contact:
Planning Support Officer
Non-Government School Planning
T: 9441 1900
2. Apply for initial registration of a new non-government school
Once advance determination has been granted by the Minister, the governing body must apply to the Director General of the Department of Education for initial registration.
This application must be made at least 6 months before the day from which registration is sought (section 158 of the Act applies).
To apply for initial registration, the governing body must complete and submit an Application for initial registration.
Governing bodies are required to submit sufficient information to demonstrate that the school will:
- observe the registration standards;
- have appropriate governance arrangements and sufficient financial resources; and
- provide a satisfactory standard of education and satisfactory levels of care to students.
For more information, refer to the:
- Guide to the registration standards and other requirements for non-government schools (2022)
- Guide to the registration standards and other requirements for non-government schools (2024, effective 1 January 2024).
The guide sets out the registration standards and other requirements that schools must satisfy when applying for registration as well as renewal of registration.
Schools must comply with the standards and requirements at all times.
If the Director General does not approve registration, the applicant may seek a review of the Director General’s decision.
For more information about the registration process contact:
Manager Education Regulation
Non-Government School Regulation
T: 9441 1900