Freedom of information

Freedom of information

The Western Australian Freedom of Information Act 1992 creates a general right of access to information held by all state and local government agencies. This includes records in the control of our Department.

Submit a student records request

You can request your student records outside of the freedom of information process. This is known as direct release.

This lets you request information we hold for public schools only. This includes:

  • primary and high school academic records
  • school psychological records
  • enrolments.

If you are a parent of a current student, contact the school directly for the information you need.

If you are a former student or an authorised third party acting on behalf of a former student, you must lodge your request in writing. Use the Former student application for access to documents.

Submit a freedom of information (FOI) request

You need to open the form in Adobe Reader. Use either Standard or Professional DC to submit directly via email.

To lodge an FOI application, you can use either the:

There are limitations to access. These are outlined in the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (WA).

Get more information about the Act from the Office of the Information Commissioner.

Our information statement

Refer to our Information statement for an overview of:

  • our structure and functions
  • the kinds of information we hold
  • the procedures to get information or have amendments made to information that is out of date, misleading or inaccurate.

Contact us

If you need help with the FOI application, call the Information Access team on 9264 4564 or email