Residential college student complaints

Residential college student complaints

Concerns and complaints of students in residential colleges.

If you have concerns or a complaint about what might be happening at a residential college there are people who are able to help you. You have the right to feel and be safe at all times.

Safety concerns may include things like:

  • inappropriate social approaches by a person to make friends with you or start a close relationship with you
  • inappropriate touching by a person which makes you feel uncomfortable
  • sexual talk, personal emails or personal contact via mobile phones or social media
  • inappropriate physical handling (hitting, pushing, hugging).

Our staff are trained in protective behaviours. They care and understand that you may feel a range of emotions about contacting us including anxiety, shame or relief. You can talk with us about yourself or someone you are concerned about.

Complaints can be anonymous but if you would like us to get back to you, you need to provide us with some contact details. 

Contact us or make a complaint

T: 1800 011 114 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 5.00pm)

The information you provide is assessed and our trained investigators may make enquiries to follow up your concern/complaint.

When you contact us, the information you tell us is not shared with any person or organisation outside this service unless we have to as part of our investigation. An exception to this is if our staff are told something that creates a ‘Duty of Care’ situation.

A 'Duty of Care' situation occurs when we find out that a child or young person:

  • is being hurt or not being looked after properly
  • is seriously thinking about hurting him/herself
  • has hurt, or is seriously thinking about hurting, someone else
  • or if we have significant concerns about a child/young person's health and safety.

If this happens, we will let you know that we are concerned and will work with you to make sure you remain safe. We may encourage you to give information about yourself (like your name and where you are).

We may then share this information with emergency services or a child protection agency so they can act to ensure your safety and the safety of anyone else involved.

If your complaint is urgent or is an emergency please call Police, Crisis Care or Kids Helpline.


24 hours a day, seven days a week
T: 131 444 (000 for emergencies)

When you call, you will be asked to:

  • Press ‘1’ for immediate police attendance
  • Press ‘2’ to report an incident that does not need immediate police attendance
  • Press ‘3’ for general information and other matters

Remember, if it’s an emergency, immediately hang up and call 000.

Crisis Care

24 hours a day, seven days a week
T: 9223 1111
T: 1800 199 008 (country free call)
T: 9325 1232 (TTY)

Crisis Care is a crisis information and counselling service of the Department of Communities Child Protection and Family Support for people needing urgent help.

Crisis Care can help when:

  • you need immediate help with a serious problem
  • you are concerned about your wellbeing or that of another person
  • you are alone or afraid and urgently need to talk with someone
  • you need counselling, information or other support.
Kids Helpline

24 hours a day, seven days a week
T: 1800 55 1800

Kids Helpline is Australia's only free, private and confidential telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between five and 25.

  • If you need to talk with someone now, the fastest way is to call and speak with a counsellor.
  • If you're not sure about talking with someone on the phone, or you can't get to a phone, use the web or email service.
  • Calls from mobile phones, landlines and payphones are free if you are calling from within Australia.

You can talk with Kids Helpline about anything including:

  • relationships with your family, boyfriend or girlfriend
  • a friend who needs help
  • school or study worries
  • how you are feeling, such as angry, sad or confused.