Attraction and retention incentive for remote and regional schools
The Regional Attraction and Retention Incentive is a major investment designed to attract and retain teachers and school administrators in some regional and remote schools that deliver secondary education.
A further $15.49 million has been announced to expand this initiative to include another 18 schools for 2024. The number of eligible schools has increased from 48 to 66. Refer to the media statement, Multi-million dollar investment to support regional and remote teachers.
A $12.4 million investment in the initiative was announced in 2022, to provide incentives to teachers and school administrators in remote and regional public schools where demand for staff was the greatest for 2023.
The payment will be offered to both new and existing teachers and school administrators in schools delivering secondary education. It also applies to school administrators as the expectation is that they will teach or pick up a teaching load. You can find the incentive payment amounts listed by tiers, and find out which schools are listed in each tier.
The Regional Attraction and Retention Incentive is not an ongoing entitlement.
Payments will vary from $5,000 to $17,000, depending on location and the school’s payment tier. A percentage will be paid upon commencement (25%) and the remainder (75%) paid to those staff who remain at the school until the end of the school year.
The following table lists the Regional Attraction and Retention Incentive (ARI) amounts for the different payment tiers.
|Tier||Total 2024 ARI payment|
Schools eligible for Tier 1 payments in 2024 include:
- East Kimberley College
- Leonora District High School
- Meekatharra District High School
- Mount Magnet District High School
- Mullewa District High School
- Newman Senior High School
- Norseman District High School
- Southern Cross District High School
- Tom Price Senior High School.
Schools eligible for Tier 2 payments in 2024 include:
- Carnamah District High School
- Carnarvon Community College
- Derby District High School
- Hedland Senior High School
- Kalgoorlie-Boulder Community High School
- Kambalda West District High School.
- Karratha Senior High School
- Leinster Community School.
Schools eligible for Tier 3 payments in 2024 include:
- Broome Senior High School
- Bruce Rock District High School
- Central Midlands Senior High School
- Dawul Remote Community School
- Eastern Goldfields College
- Fitzroy Valley District High School
- Halls Creek District High School
- Jerramungup District High School
- Katanning Senior High School
- Laverton School
- Marble Bar Primary School
- Menzies Community School
- Merredin College
- Muludja Remote Community School
- Ravensthorpe District High School
- Roebourne District High School
- Tjuntjuntjara Remote Community School
- WA College of Agriculture – Cunderdin
- Wyalkatchem District High School
- Yulga Jinna Remote Community School.
Schools eligible for Tier 4 payments in 2024 include:
- Australind Senior High School
- Bayulu Remote Community School
- Brookton District High School
- Burringurrah Remote Community School
- Champion Bay Senior High School
- Collie Senior High School
- Donnybrook District High School
- Djugerari Remote Community School
- Eaton Community College
- Geraldton Senior High School
- Harvey Senior High School
- Jungdranung Remote Community School
- Kalumburu Remote Community School
- La Grange Remote Community School
- Looma Remote Community School
- Morawa District High School
- Mount Margaret Remote Community School
- Narrogin Senior High School
- Newton Moore Senior High School
- Ngaanyatjarra Lands School
- Northam Senior High School
- Nullagine Primary School
- One Arm Point Remote Community School
- WA College of Agriculture - Morawa
- WA College of Agriculture - Narrogin
- Wananami Remote Community School
- Wiluna Remote Community School
- Wongan Hills District High School
- Yandeyarra Remote Community School.