Teacher qualifications and registration

Teacher qualifications and registration

To teach in a Western Australian public school, including relief teaching, you must have a recognised tertiary teaching degree.

Teaching qualifications can be:
  • a Bachelor of Education of at least 3 years in duration in one of the following areas:
    • early childhood education
    • primary education
    • secondary education
  • a relevant 3-year bachelor’s degree, followed by a completed initial teacher education program such as a Graduate Diploma in Education or a 2-year Master of Teaching. Any post-graduate initial teacher education course must be delivered at Level 8 or above of the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Professional registration

All teachers must be registered with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) to teach in Western Australia.

Early childhood education

As an early childhood teacher, to plan and implement education programs for students between four and eight years old (Kindergarten to Year 2) in a public school.

You must have a recognised tertiary teaching degree to teach in a public school.  Our early childhood teachers also have a recognised early childhood qualification.  Some of these pathways include:  

  • a four year Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood, Kindergarten to Year 6 or 0-8 years Early Childhood Education/Childcare);
  • a three year degree, followed by a Graduate Diploma or Master of Teaching specialising in early childhood education;
  • or a Department recognised primary teaching degree and an ACECQA approved diploma level (or higher) education and care qualification.

You can find out if your early childhood education qualification is recognised by visiting the Australian Children’s Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA). Overseas trained teachers need to apply to ACECQA to have their qualifications recognised for use in Western Australia.