Casual relief teaching

Casual relief teaching

Casual relief teachers play an important role in schools, teaching students when their regular teacher is unavailable.

To teach in a Western Australian public school, including relief teaching, you must have a recognised tertiary teaching degree. Casual relief teaching refers to casual teaching work in a public school for less than 20 consecutive days. Individual schools are responsible for the employment of relief teachers as and when required.

Step 1
Check the eligibility criteria to ensure you meet the requirements to teach in a Western Australian public school.

Step 2
Find suitable schools by visiting Schools Online.  Contact schools that may interest you to let them know you are available. Provide the schools you contact with the necessary documentation (resume, copy of your Teachers Registration, qualifications and Department probity checks).

Step 3
If you don’t already have a Working With Children Check (Western Australian) card you must apply within five days of starting relief teaching.

The school will submit a commencement form and generate your employee identification number (known as your E number or ID) when you start work.

Visit Schools Online to find school contact details.