Non-government school complaints

Non-government school complaints

If you have a complaint about a registered non-government school, you should first contact the school directly, or check the school's website or handbook for details about the school's complaints policy.

The complaint management standard applicable to all non-government schools requires they have a complaints policy which is child-friendly and easily accessible. 

A school’s handling of a complaint must be fair, objective, prompt and confidential. A remedy should be provided if a complaint is upheld, and there should be a system for review of the complaint outcome.

You can contact Non-Government School Regulation (NGSR) about a complaint or concern by telephone on 9441 1900, or email

Please note that NGSR does not have a role in the resolution of complaints about non-government schools. NGSR takes information it receives by way of complaints into account in monitoring schools’ compliance with the registration standards, including the complaints management standard.

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of a child or children, you should immediately contact the Western Australia Police Force or the Department of Communities – Child Protection and Family Support.