Change a school registration
Changes to the registration of non-government schools must be approved by the Director General before they are implemented.
Changes requiring approval are:
- the name of the school
- the address of the school, without a change of location
- reduction of the year levels of education provided
- change of curriculum or addition of a curriculum
- the name (and identity) of the governing body
- addition of one or more year levels of education provided (significant change)
- addition of a campus or school site (significant change)
- change of school location (significant change).
An Application for registration change form must be submitted at least 6 months before the proposed implementation date of the change, unless the Director General approves a shorter timeframe.
Significant registration changes
The addition of a campus or school site and change of school location are 'significant' registration changes.
The addition of one or more year levels of education provided is a significant registration change if the additional level/s will result in the school providing:
- non-compulsory education (Pre-kindergarten or Kindergarten) if the school currently is not registered to provide any year levels in non-compulsory education,
- primary education (Pre-primary to Year 6) if the school currently is not registered to provide any year levels in primary education, or
- secondary education (Years 7-12) if the school currently is not registered to provide any year levels in secondary education.
An Application for registration change cannot be made to the Director General with respect to these changes unless an advance determination is first obtained from the Minister.
An Application for an advance determination must be submitted at least 18 months before the proposed implementation date of the change unless the Minister approves a shorter implementation timeframe.
A request for approval of a shorter timeframe needs to be made in writing and addressed to the Minister for Education.
Before completing the application form, governing bodies are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the following information:
If the Director General does not renew a school’s registration, the governing body may seek a review of the Director General’s decision.
A school wishing to make certain changes to its registration must apply to the Director General for approval using this form.