Graduate Development Program
Gain valuable experience and skills across diverse business areas under the guidance of senior leaders and mentors in our graduate program.
Our Graduate Development Program offers you the chance to kick start your career with an opportunity like no other.
As a graduate you will complete the program over 24 months. You will rotate through different business areas with the opportunity for permanent appointment following a successful 6-month probation period.
We have 6 to 8 graduate officer roles available in Education Business Services.
The Education Business Services group provides services and support to more than 800 public schools across Western Australia. We work continually to develop our staff, systems and processes to deliver high quality education.
Graduates will rotate through 4 business areas.
Business and Customer Services
Business and Customer Services provides essential finance, payroll, corporate information and customer services to the Department, schools, statutory boards, the Schools Curriculum and Standards Authority and the Commissioner for Children and Young People.
Financial and Commercial Services
Financial and Commercial Services is responsible for financial planning and budget management, commercial services, contract risk management and legal advice.
Information and Communication Technologies
Information and Communication Technologies provides technical support for all Western Australian public schools and business units in the Department. Services include infrastructure and telecommunications, e-learning and business systems, student information systems and governance.
Infrastructure leads the planning, construction and maintenance of school buildings and facilities.
You will take on meaningful work from day one with a tailored training program which aims to accelerate your personal and professional development.
In addition to developing technical knowledge and skills, you will learn to collaborate and consult with internal and external stakeholders.
You will get the opportunity to contribute to policy, plans and systems that support the management of schools and related services.
Each business area rotation gives you the to demonstrate and develop key skills including:
- collating data, analysis and reporting on a range of operational matters
- contributing to the development, implementation and review of policy and procedures
- collaborating with internal and external stakeholders and establishing effective working relationships
- preparing correspondence on Department matters including briefing notes, ministerial correspondence, responses to parliamentary questions and memorandums
- researching policy and project objectives and providing input on the strategic direction of Education Business Services.
To be considered for the graduate program you will need to have:
- a tertiary degree in business, commerce, accounting or a related field completed within the last 24 months.
- proof of eligibility to work in the WA public sector (for example, your citizenship certificate, residency status or a visa).
- sound oral, written communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise with people at all levels and build effective relationships.
- sound research, problem solving and analytical skills.
- initiative and sound organisational skills including the ability to multitask, meet deadlines and work effectively in a team environment.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Before you apply for our graduate program we encourage you to read the Graduate Development Program 2023 information guide. It has more information on:
- eligibility requirements
- preparing your application
- how to apply.
Applications for our 2023 program are now closed.
For more information about the Graduate Development Program or graduate officer roles contact Gillian McDonald, Senior Capability Building Coordinator in Education Business Services.