Students from country WA

Students from country WA

Children from country Western Australia with exceptional abilities have access to Gifted and Talented programs.

Children who want to participate in a Gifted and Talented Academic, Arts or Languages Secondary Selective program have access to a range of options:

Students in regional Western Australia are not required to travel to Perth for testing. They will be allocated a testing venue within their education region based on the location of their current school.

Country testing is coordinated by regional assessment coordinators who organise venues based on the location of students in their region. For more information phone the Gifted and Talented Selection Unit on (08) 9264 4307 or email

Selective Academic Program Online

If you live in country Western Australia, your child can apply for the Selective Academic Program Online. Using computer links and innovative technology, your child can access the program without moving to Perth.

A coordinator based at Perth Modern School manages the online program. The programs offered are Mathematics, Science, English, and Humanities and Social Sciences.

If your child will attend a public secondary school in a regional area (outside of Bunbury or Albany), they will be able to access the online program.

Selection into these programs is based on the results of the Academic Selective Entrance Test (ASET).

For more information about the Selective Academic Program Online, visit the GT online website, email or call (08) 9392 6818.

Residential colleges

Country students offered a Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective program placement are able to apply to board at City Beach Residential College or Albany Residential College.

The Gifted and Talented Boarding Allowance is also available to those who do not qualify for:

  • the Australian Government Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme
  • a State Government Boarding Away from Home allowance.

In 2024, the Gifted and Talented Boarding Allowance is valued at up to $1,389 a year.

To find out more, contact: