Teacher qualifications and registration

Teacher qualifications and registration

To teach in a Western Australian public school, including relief teaching, you must have a recognised tertiary teaching degree.

Teaching qualifications can be:

  • a Bachelor of Education of at least 3 years in duration in one of the following areas
    • early childhood education
    • primary education
    • secondary education
  • a relevant 3-year bachelor’s degree, followed by a completed initial teacher education program such as a Graduate Diploma in Education or a 2-year Master of Teaching. Any post-graduate initial teacher education course must be delivered at Level 8 or above of the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Professional registration

 To teach in Western Australia, all teachers must be registered with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA).

Early childhood education

Early childhood teachers are qualified to plan and implement education programs for students between 4 and 8 years old (Kindergarten to Year 2). Teachers working in Kindergarten must have an early childhood qualification. It’s also recommended for teachers working in Pre-primary to Year 2.

You need a recognised tertiary teaching degree to teach in a public school. The pathways for early childhood teachers include a:  

  • Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood 0 - 8 years)
  • 3-year degree, followed by a Graduate Diploma of Education (Early Childhood Studies) or Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)
  • Department-recognised primary teaching degree and a diploma level (or higher) education and care qualification approved by the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA).

Check if your early childhood education qualification is recognised by the ACECQA. If you trained overseas, the ACECQA needs to approve your qualifications for you to use them in Western Australia.