English language support

English language support

Specialist staff deliver individualised programs that cater for students who need additional support.

Intensive English Centres

For students in the early stages of learning the English language, a number of Western Australian government schools provide a specialist Intensive English Centre (IEC) program.

This program helps students acquire standard Australian English and the skills and understandings they need to be successful learners. The IECs are part of a school and deliver a specialised program to support students learning Standard Australian English as an additional language.

IECs deliver the whole Western Australian Curriculum, not just English classes, and teaching and learning are tailored to the needs of the students.

For more information about the IEC program, refer to our page for Families new to Western Australia.

English as an additional language or dialect

All Western Australian government schools receive additional resourcing for eligible English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD) students. Schools may use this resourcing to develop their own specialised programs for students who require additional English language support.

Schools may also have specialised EALD teachers and education assistants who work with students in a caring and supportive environment to help them access and understand the curriculum. 

Western Australian government schools

Western Australian government schools

Learn more about what our schools offer for international students.

Find a school