These procedures must be read in conjunction with the Naming of Public Schools and Facilities Policy.
These procedures apply to all employees.
3.1 Process for ministerial approval
Principals must produce a report for a proposed school or facility name change for Ministerial approval that is consistent with the guidelines in Appendix A and that contains the following information:
- a list of at least three proposed names in priority order;
- a rationale for the proposed names, including an explanation if the school suburb, locality or street name is not considered suitable;
- evidence of school/community participation in the decision making process;
- any objections and concerns raised at the local community level, how they were considered and why the school decided to either proceed with the name or refine or change the name; and
- a summary of the process used for obtaining the proposed names and determining their priority.
Principals must forward the report, through their Director of Education to the Director, Asset Planning and Services.
The Director Asset Planning and Services must request approval from the Minister on the school or facility name and include the following information:
- the principal’s report;
- confirmation if the proposed name is compliant with the naming conventions; and
- a draft letter of acknowledgement of the new name from the Minister to the principal and the local Member of Parliament.
An existing school cannot be considered for a name change without prior agreement from the Deputy Director General Schools.
Proposals are assessed against the guidelines in Appendix A – Guidelines for naming public schools and facilities.
See Appendix B for a flowchart of the process for naming schools and facilities.
See Appendix C for the proposal to name a school and facility form.
4. Related documents
5. Contact information
Director, Asset Planning and Services
Policy contact officer:
Principal Consultant, Land Acquisition
T: 9264 5689
6. History of changes
|Effective date||Last update date||Procedure version no.|
|7 December 2012||1.0|
|Approved by Corporate Executive 16 November 2012. D12/0812988|
|7 December 2012||17 March 2015||1.1|
|Minor changes to Appendix A2 D15/0055141|
|7 December 2012||12 September 2018||1.2|
|Minor changes to include reference to Public Schools D18/0151652, and changes to position titles and contact D18/0404760.|
|6 August 2019||2.0|
|Approved by the Director General on the 17 July 2019. D19/0318612|
|6 August 2019||15 July 2020||2.1|
|Minor changes Appendix A and addition of RED signature block in Appendix C. Approval D20/0356691|
|6 August 2019||15 January 2021||2.2|
|Minor changes to replace the Regional Executive Director position title with Director of Education D20/0647278|
Appendix A: Guidelines for naming public schools and facilities (PDF file - 49.9kB)
Appendix B: Process for naming public schools and facilities (DOCX file - 58.2kB)
Appendix C: Proposal to name a public school and facility form (DOCX file - 21.6kB)
8. More information
Appendix A: Guidelines for naming public schools and facilities
Appendix B: Process for naming public schools and facilities
Appendix C: Proposal to name a public school and facility form
Naming of Public Schools and Facilities Procedures v2.2
Please ensure you also download the policy supported by this procedure.
Naming of Public Schools and Facilities Policy
Procedure review date
6 August 2022
Procedure last updated
15 January 2021