Skip to Content

Residential colleges

There are eight country based residential colleges and one city based residential college.

Students from Narrogin Residential CollegeCountry boarding provide your child with the opportunity to remain in the country to attend secondary school. They continue enjoying a country lifestyle and stay connected to regional Western Australia.Your child may even choose to return home at weekends, as is the case for many of our boarders.

City boarding is available for students from the country who are enrolled in a Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Entrance Program at select metropolitan secondary schools. These gifted students have the opportunity to access the finest education while living in a safe, secure and supportive environment close to their schools. If your child gains a place in a Gifted and Talented Program and is from the country, they can apply to board at City Beach Residential College.

As a boarder, your child is able to:

  • live and study with other young people from the country
  • complete high quality secondary education at one school
  • attend a secondary school that offers a variety of subjects and a range of experienced teachers
  • participate in local sport, recreation and part-time work
  • access the facilities and amenities of a large country town or the city.

LINC committees will provide a vital link between residential colleges and the community. There will be one LINC committee for each of the nine residential colleges. They comprise community members who provide advice and support to the college manager and staff.

The role of the committee

The purpose of a LINC committee is to enable parents and members of the community to:

  • provide advice to the college manager regarding the operation and management of the college
  • promote the college
  • engage in activities that are in the best interests of students.

The LINC committee may:

  • approve advertising and sponsorship arrangements
  • be consulted on the student code of conduct
  • take part in the selection of staff
  • provide advice on disputes or complaints
  • take part in planning, financial matters and college priorities.

The LINC committee cannot:

  • intervene in management
  • direct staff.

Becoming a committee member

A LINC committee consists of four to ten members. Committee members are appointed by the Director General and selected based on their experience, skills, attributes or qualifications to effectively perform the functions required by the committee.

A committee member can be:

  • a parent of a student/s at the residential college
  • a member of the general community
  • an employee of the residential college.

To express your interest in becoming a member of a LINC committee, please complete the Expression of Interest form and email Debra Hardie or post to:

Debra Hardie

Manager, Residential Colleges

Department of Education

151 Royal Street

East Perth WA 6004


Expressions of interest close on Tuesday 18 April 2017.

As a boarder, your child lives in a supportive and welcoming ‘home away from home’ with other young people from the country. They enjoy:

  • safe, secure accommodation (with separate living quarters and bathrooms for girls and boys)
  • easy access to school
  • support with their studies
  • high quality recreation and study facilities
  • access to sport and other interests
  • a variety of recreation activities and excursions
  • healthy, balance meals
  • a supportive and social environment in which to live.


Supportive supervisorsYour child is supervised by professional and experienced staff members who are responsible for the well-being of every boarder. They are dedicated to creating a wonderful boarding experience for your child and ensure a healthy balance between study and recreation.

Led by residential college managers, supervisors provide emotional support while boarders are away from home; ensure everyone is well behaved, respectful and considerate of others; facilitate regular study sessions and tutoring; support boarders’ educational and sporting needs; and organise fun activities for the weekends.

They also foster good communication between the residential college, boarders, school and families.

There are eight residential colleges located in regional centres throughout WA:

City Beach Residential College is located in City Beach - a coastal suburb of Perth. From the college, students can easily access four of the secondary schools with Gifted and Talented Programs. These include Perth Modern SchoolShenton College, John Curtin College of the Arts and Churchlands Senior High School.

Coastal boarding 

Every boarder pays a boarding fee that covers accommodation, meals and pastoral care. This is a standard fee for all residential colleges.

The full cost of boarding in 2017 is $20,940 per student. However, your child may be entitled to allowances and/or subsidies that could reduce the total cost. See the table below.

Subsidised public school students $13,660
Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme (AIC) and Boarding Away from Home Allowance (BAHA) recipients $3,460
AIC and BAHA recipients who are also eligible for the additional AIC allowance


(subject to an income test)

Youth Allowance recipients Varies (subject to an income test)
ABSTUDY No cost (subject to an income test)
Gifted and Talented Education Allowance recipients $11,555
Overseas/International students $20,940

For more information, see the links in the financial assistance section.

Each residential college also provides additional services to their boarders, such as providing educational resources and recreational equipment. They charge a fee to cover the costs. For specific details, visit their website.

Young boarderApplying for a place is an easy process and residential college managers are more than happy to help.

For country boarding, please enrol in the school you’d like your child to attend and make application for any allowances or subsidies for which you may be eligible. Then fill out an application form and submit it to your preferred residential college. Visit your preferred residential college’s website for more information.

For city boarding, you may apply at City Beach Residential College once your child has been accepted into a Gifted and Talented Program at a select metropolitan secondary school.