Interm Swimming is a school-based swimming program for children from Pre-primary to Year 7. It provides quality swimming lessons across the State to ensure children develop vital swimming and water safety skills.
The Department of Education meets the cost of Interm Swimming lessons for all primary students in public schools and for primary students in private schools in rural and remote areas.
The program is also available to primary students in private schools in the metropolitan area on a user pays basis. Please refer to the private school conditions and invoicing rates.
Parents and carers usually need to pay a fee to cover transport and entry costs into the swimming venue. Parents and carers interested in finding out more should contact their children’s school.
Participating schools can download the Interm Swimming enrolment form for parents to complete and return to the school before the start of lessons.
Interm Swimming lessons operate across the State with the majority of programs conducted at swimming pools and some conducted at beach or open water venues, where possible.
- Metropolitan Interm Swimming Program: Information for schools
- Country Interm Swimming program: Information for schools
- Interm Swimming for children in home education
- Interm Swimming forms for schools and staff
Interm Swimming lessons are run at all metropolitan aquatic leisure centres and most swimming pools. Lessons are also available at Avalon and Doddies Beach (Mandurah), Coogee Beach, Cottesloe Beach, Sorrento Beach, Mullaloo Beach and Yanchep Lagoon.
Registered school coordinators are invited to submit their lesson preferences in WAIVS in Term 2 each year for lessons in the following year.
Late preferences can be submitted by emailing Swimming and Water Safety and will be considered after online preferences are timetabled.
School coordinators can refer to the following:
- How to submit school booking preferences online
- 2018 metropolitan Interm Swimming program
- Venues operating in 2018
- Interm Swimming operational information
- A current registered school coordinator is required to be able to access the WAIVS school portal.
- To change your school coordinator, please contact Swimming and Water Safety.
Swimming and Water Safety (metropolitan Interm Swimming):
T: 9402 6195
The country Interm Swimming program is locally managed and operated by the nominated organising principal who coordinates the lessons and the staff.
Swimming and Water Safety (country Interm Swimming):
T: 9402 6195
Children in home education are welcome to take part in Interm Swimming.
To enrol, please complete the following:
- Application for home educated children to participate in Interm Swimming (PDF download) and
- Interm Swimming enrolment form (PDF download)
- one enrolment form for each child is required
- information completed where applicable, in particular any medical conditions, disabilities and/or medication.
For current operating dates in the Perth metropolitan area (including Bunbury, Collie, Leschenault and Wundowie), please refer to the Interm Swimming operating dates and locations.
Additional Assistance Form
Change of Stage Form
Children with Special Needs Form
Class Assessment Sheet – Pool
Class Assessment Sheet - Surf
Confidential Declaration Form
Country Confirmation of Attendance Form
Country Interm Proposed Lesson Dates
Country Interm Swimming Classes Timetable
Critical Incident Information Sheet
Daily Class Numbers Form
Emergency Procedure Checklist
How to Complete a Continuum
Incident Report Form
Instructor Review Form
Interm Swimming Enrolment Form for parents
Record of Lessons Worked Form
Workplace Safety Checklist