Vocational Education and Training

Vocational Education and Training

Vocational Education and Training (VET) is essential in providing young people with ‘education and training for work’.

In addition to gaining industry specific technical skills, VET offers young people the opportunity to build on enterprise skills developed during Years 7 to 10 and to apply these skills to real world contexts.

There are a number of ways your child can access VET:

  • Some schools offer a selection of VET qualifications as a ‘subject’ which means your child can include it as a part of their school based program.
  • Some schools enable students to access VET qualifications at a TAFE college or private training provider one or two days per week.
  • They can commence training towards their career by undertaking a school based apprenticeship, traineeship or a pre-apprenticeship, and spend one-day at a training provider such as a TAFE College and one day at work.
  • Aboriginal school based training programs are available to Aboriginal students to develop skills not yet achieved through general education and work readiness to help them transition into further training or employment.
  • Young people living in remote and regional areas may access a VET qualification through the School of Isolated and Distance Education.

Your child can use their achievement in VET to contribute towards the Western Australian Certificate of Education. 

For more information contact your school, or email VETsupport@education.wa.edu.au.

Workplace Learning

Work placements are integral to supporting young people to achieve quality outcomes in VET. Access to high quality, relevant work placements provides young people with the opportunity to integrate practical on-the-job experience while engaging with the world of work.

Young people in years 11 and 12 can participate in Workplace Learning, a structured and formalised program developed by the School Curriculum and Standards Authority. This program contributes towards their Western Australian Certificate of Education.

For more information, contact your school or visit School Curriculum and Standards Authority.