Become a swimming instructor

Become a swimming instructor

Becoming a swimming instructor is an exciting and rewarding journey.

It's perfect for anyone who wants to make a difference teaching our young people vital skills to help keep them safe.

To become a swimming instructor, you need an accredited swimming teacher license. You can complete the supervised teaching component of your qualification at our specialised Training Hubs and transition directly to a rewarding career with us.

Once you are qualified, you’ll be able to apply to work with us to teach VacSwim and Interm Swimming lessons.

To work with us as a swimming instructor, you need to be at least 17 years old, have a current CPR certificate and a swimming instructor license.

Water safety officers don’t require a swimming instructor license, however they do need to have a Surf Rescue Certificate or Surf Bronze Medallion.

To work with us you also need to have a:

Swimming staff employed by the Department must complete a Practical proficiency review and display competency at the time of their appointment. Refer to Swimming staff – Information and employment conditions.

If you have completed the theory component of your swimming instructor course, congratulations on taking the first step on your journey to becoming a swimming instructor!

Complete your Industry Training at one of our venues.

Work in our program with a coaching instructor or a hub trainer to learn in a positive, specialised environment, and transition to a rewarding career with us. You will receive full, ongoing support and mentoring from us during your Industry Training.

Your Industry Training includes your supervised teaching component and competency assessment. After you graduate, you will be fully supported in your final steps to become an employed swimming instructor with the Department of Education.


To complete your Industry Training with us, you need to:

  • be at least 17 years old
  • have completed the online theory for your course
  • have a current CPR qualification.

If you are over 18, you also need to have a current:

  • Working with Children Check, or have applied for one
  • Department of Education Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and Screening Clearance Number.

If you are under 18, you will need to obtain a Working with Children Check after your training is completed to be eligible for paid employment.

Apply now

Before you apply, make sure you have evidence of the above requirements ready to attach.

To apply, download the application form: 

For more information

T: 9402 6195