This award recognises secondary school teachers who are a source of inspiration to their students.
They know their content and how to teach it, and provide a dependable and consistent influence as their students make choices about further education, work and life.
The award category is for qualified secondary school teachers working in our schools with a significant proportion of the week dedicated to classroom teaching.
The WA Premier’s Secondary Teacher of the Year receives $25 000 (50% for professional development and 50% cash) and three finalists each receive $2500. See terms and conditions for more information.
Nominations must address all of the three selection criteria:
- professional knowledge
- professional practice
- professional engagement.
The selection criteria is based on the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
- A nominee may be nominated in only one staff award category in any year.
- The nominee must be practising in the role they are being nominated for at the time of nomination.
- All professionally qualified teachers currently teaching in a Western Australian public secondary school, with a significant proportion of the week (0.6) dedicated to classroom teaching at the time of nomination, are eligible.
- Previous winners (not finalists) of a WA Premier’s Teacher of the Year award will not be considered for a 2019 award.
- Self-nomination in staff award categories will not be accepted.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- Joint nominations for staff operating on a tandem, team or job share basis will not be accepted.
- Teachers at middle schools and district high schools can be nominated in either primary or secondary. This may be based on whether the majority of students they are teaching are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
Please submit four high resolution images of the person or school being nomninated. Include a mix of portrait and action shots for individual awards. Ensure images for whole school awards include students and staff, not empty grounds, buildings or classrooms. See these example photos for more help.
Nominations open Monday 1 April and close 5.00pm Friday 31 May. Finalists will be announced Tuesday 23 July.