WA Secondary School of the Year
This award recognises secondary schools that inspire students in their academic, social and creative development.
Outstanding teaching and leadership create positive environments for students to achieve their best, for staff to contribute their best and for communities to be actively involved in their schools.
The award category is for all secondary schools. Middle schools and district high schools can decide which category to enter (either primary or secondary). This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
The WA Secondary School of the Year receives $15 000 and three finalists each receive $2500. See the terms and conditions for more information.
- All Western Australian public secondary schools (including special education) are eligible. Middle schools and district high schools can decide which category to enter (either primary or secondary). This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
- A nominee may be nominated in only one school of the year award category (primary or secondary) in any year.
- Previous winners (not finalists) of a WA Secondary School of the Year award will not be considered for a 2019 award.
- Joint nominations for schools operating in partnership will not be accepted.
Ensure your nominee meets the eligibility criteria.
Download the WA Secondary School of the Year profile which outlines the exemplary practices nominating schools are expected to demonstrate and is based on the School Improvement and Accountability Framework and the National School Improvement Tool.
The profile isn’t a checklist that has to be checked off for each of the dot points, it is a guide to understanding the qualities looked for in an award winning school.
Once you have read the profile and believe the school demonstrates these practices, you will need to sign the profile and include it as part of your nomination.
Download the template for the WA Secondary School of the Year written statement. This is a two page document that addresses High Performance – High Care, the Department’s Strategic Plan for WA Public Schools 2016 – 2019.
As part of your nomination, the following documents are also required:
- the school’s latest annual report
- the school’s business / operational plan.
Please submit four high resolution images of the person or school being nominated. Please include a mix of posed and action shots. See these example photos for the style of photos required. These photos must be high resolution (at least 3MB) and must be submitted as separate JPEG files.
All nominations for WA Secondary School of the Year must be endorsed by the regional executive director. This includes nominations from Independent Public Schools, where the regional executive director is acting under the authority of the Director General.
As part of submitting you nomination you will also need to have provide the details of two referees. Once you have completed and gathered the required attachments, you are ready to submit your nomination.