WA Secondary School of the Year
This award recognises secondary schools that inspire students in their academic, social and creative development.
The award category is for all secondary schools. Middle schools and district high schools can decide which category to enter (either primary or secondary). This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
This award is proudly sponsored by Perth Energy.
In a written statement, the nomination must describe how the school ensures success for all students and demonstrates a commitment to Every student, every classroom, every day: Strategic directions for public schools 2020–2024.
The statement should include references to school performance data, public school review progress, and demonstrations of how the school enables success for Aboriginal students.
Nominations will be judged against the following criteria:
- student achievement
- learning environment
- community engagement.
The WA Secondary School of the Year receives $15 000 and three finalists each receive $2500. See the terms and conditions for more information.
In addition to the terms and conditions, the following eligibility criteria apply for this category:
- All Western Australian public secondary schools, including education support and special educational needs, are eligible.
- Schools such as K-12, education support, remote community and district high schools should be nominated in either primary or secondary category that best suits their individual school context or circumstances. This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
The judging panel include:
- academic experts in relevant areas of teaching and education research
- members of education and leadership professional associations
- sponsors committed to public education
- past winners who bring their experience
- senior Department of Education staff.
Two members from each judging panel will visit each finalist at their school to speak with the finalist, school staff, students, parents and referees to help determine winners.
Site visits will be held between Monday 6 September to Friday 17 September 2021.