WA Secondary Principal of the Year
This award recognises the inspiring and challenging role of principals in secondary schools.
This award is proudly sponsored by Teachers Mutual Bank.
In a written statement, the nomination must describe how the principal demonstrates effective leadership, ensuring success for all students, addressing Every student, every classroom, every day: Strategic directions for public schools 2020–2024.
The nomination will be judged against the following criteria based on the Australian Professional Standard for Principals:
- leads and promotes exemplary teaching and learning
- leads and promotes the development of self and others
- leads and promotes improvement, innovation and change
- demonstrates exemplary management of the school
- leads and promotes high level community engagement.
The WA Secondary Principal of the Year receives $25 000 (50% for professional development and 50% cash) and three finalists each receive $2500. See the terms and conditions for more information.
In addition to the terms and conditions, the following eligibility criteria apply for this category:
- All professionally qualified principals who currently hold substantive positions and are currently teaching in a Western Australian public secondary school (including education support and special educational needs) are eligible.
- Staff acting in a principal position for a continuous period greater than 12 months at the time of nominating, pending its ongoing filling, are also eligible.
- Principals at schools such as K-12, education support, remote community and district high schools should be nominated in either primary or secondary category that best suits their individual school context or circumstances. This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.