This award recognises primary school teachers who are knowledgeable, caring and creative – and passionate about inspiring younger students to want to learn.
They encourage respect in the classroom, know their students and how they learn, and engage in professional learning.
The award category is for qualified early childhood and primary school teachers working in our schools with a significant proportion of the week dedicated to classroom teaching.
The WA Premier’s Primary Teacher of the Year receives $25 000 (50% for professional development and 50% cash) and three finalists each receive $2500. See terms and conditions for more information.
Nominations must address all three selection criteria:
- professional knowledge
- professional practice
- professional engagement.
The selection criteria is based on the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
- A nominee may be nominated in only one staff award category in any year.
- The nominee must be practising in the role they are being nominated for at the time of nomination.
- All professionally qualified early childhood and primary teachers currently teaching in a Western Australian public primary school, with a significant proportion of the week (0.6) dedicated to classroom teaching at the time of nomination, are eligible.
- Previous winners (not finalists) of a WA Premier’s Teacher of the Year award will not be considered for a 2018 award.
- Self-nomination in staff award categories will not be accepted.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- Joint nominations for staff operating on a tandem, team or job share basis will not be accepted.
- Teachers at middle schools and district high schools can be nominated in either primary or secondary. This may be based on whether the majority of students they are teaching are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
Nominations closed 5.00pm Friday 29 June. Finalists will be announced Monday 6 August.