This award recognises primary school teachers who are knowledgeable, caring and creative – and passionate about inspiring younger students to want to learn.
They encourage respect in the classroom, know their students and how they learn, and engage in professional learning.
The award category is for qualified early childhood and primary school teachers working in our schools with a significant proportion of the week dedicated to classroom teaching.
The WA Premier’s Primary Teacher of the Year receives $25 000 (50% for professional development and 50% cash) and three finalists each receive $2500. See terms and conditions for more information.
Nominations must address all three selection criteria:
- professional knowledge
- professional practice
- professional engagement.
The selection criteria is based on the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
- A nominee may be nominated in only one staff award category in any year.
- The nominee must be practising in the role they are being nominated for at the time of nomination.
- All professionally qualified early childhood and primary teachers currently teaching in a Western Australian public primary school, with a significant proportion of the week (0.6) dedicated to classroom teaching at the time of nomination, are eligible.
- Previous winners (not finalists) of a WA Premier’s Teacher of the Year award will not be considered for a 2019 award.
- Self-nomination in staff award categories will not be accepted.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- Joint nominations for staff operating on a tandem, team or job share basis will not be accepted.
- Teachers at middle schools and district high schools can be nominated in either primary or secondary. This may be based on whether the majority of students they are teaching are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
Read the terms and conditions and eligibility criteria. If the nominee meets the eligibility requirements, download the WA Premier's Primary Teacher of the Year template.
As part of the nomination, you can submit three attachments. An attachment is a document of supporting evidence for your nomination. These can be letters of support, school data or NAPLAN results. Each attachment is to be no more than one single-sided page and must only consist of the one item, for example, one letter of support is one attachment. The total of your whole nomination must not exceed 10MB.
Please submit four high resolution images of the person or school being nominated. Please include a mix of posed and action shots. See these example photos for the style of photos required. These photos must be high resolution (at least 3MB) and must be submitted as separate JPEG files.
As part of submitting you nomination you will also need to have ready details of the nominee including their E number, years of service, email address, mobile number and place of study. You will also need to provide the details of two referees.
Once you have completed your nomination and gathered your attachments, you can submit your nomination.