This award recognises primary schools that focus intently on the learning and development of students from the start of their schooling experiences through to early adolescence.
Innovative approaches, community partnerships, strong leadership and commitment to professional learning shape the positive and inspirational culture of these schools.
The award category is for all primary schools. Middle schools and district high schools can decide which category to enter (either primary or secondary). This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
The WA Primary School of the Year receives $15 000 and three finalists each receive $2500. See the terms and conditions for more information.
- All Western Australian public primary schools (including early childhood and special education) are eligible. Middle schools and district high schools can decide which category to enter (either primary or secondary). This may be based on whether the majority of students are in Year 7 upwards or Year 6 and below.
- A nominee may be nominated in only one school award category in any year.
- Previous winners (not finalists) of a WA Primary School of the Year award will not be considered for a 2018 award.
- Joint nominations for schools operating in partnership will not be accepted.
- Schools that have had exemplary reviews in the 12 months prior to nominations closing will be automatically nominated for school of the year award categories.
How to nominate
Ensure your nominee meets the eligibility criteria.
Download the WA Primary School of the Year profile which outlines the exemplary practices nominating schools are expected to demonstrate and is based on the School Improvement and Accountability Framework and the National School Improvement Tool.
The profile isn’t a checklist that has to be checked off for each of the dot points, it is a guide to understanding the qualities looked for in an award winning school.
Once you have read the profile and believe the school demonstrates these practices, you will need to sign the profile and include it as part of your nomination.
Download the template for the WA Primary School of the Year written statement. This is a two page document that addresses High Performance – High Care, the Department’s Strategic Plan for WA Public Schools 2016 – 2019.
As part of your nomination, the following documents are also required:
- the school’s latest annual report
- the school’s business / operational plan
All nominations for WA Primary School of the Year must be endorsed by the regional executive director. This includes nominations from Independent Public Schools, where the regional executive director is acting under the authority of the Director General.
As part of submitting you nomination you will also need to have provide the details of two referees. Once you have completed and gathered the required attachments, you are ready to submit your nomination.
View an example nomination of one of last year’s finalists.Download Size: 118.9kB
Use this written statement template for your WA Education Awards nomination.Download Size: 16.7kB