Novel Coronavirus - (COVID-19)
Information for parents regarding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
We are acting on the advice of the WA Department of Health to take the necessary precautions for schools and staff.
Advice on returning to schools
Students or staff cannot attend school if they have:
- arrived in Australia from 1 February 2020 who have travelled to, from or transited through mainland China. They must isolate themselves for 14 days after leaving China OR
- been informed by public health authorities that they are close contacts of a confirmed case of the Novel Coronavirus, irrespective of whether they have developed symptoms, must also remain home, in isolation for 14 days.
The above also applies to all parents/carers, contractors, visitors and volunteers on school sites.
The relevant school should be notified. Students may want to seek alternative arrangements for remote learning keeping in mind that the isolation period, provided the person remains well, is a maximum of 14 days.
Children and staff do not require a medical certificate or clearance to return to school but must remain at home until 14 days after leaving mainland China.
The WA Department of Health has updated information including frequently asked questions about the COVID-19. To view this information visit healthywa.wa.gov.au/coronavirus
Updates will be provided as any new information becomes available. Please check back regularly to ensure the information you have is up to date.
The Department of Education, Catholic Education Western Australia and The Association of Independent Schools of WA will continue to respond as a collaborative team to advice from the WA Department of Health and provide updated advice to schools and staff as appropriate.
For more information
- WA Department of Health: www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/coronavirus
- Call the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080
- For general or travel related queries about coronavirus please go to the healthdirect website.
- Visit the Australian Department of Health website or details about the novel coronavirus.
- You can also visit the World Health Organisation website for more information about coronavirus and for updates.
Information last reviewed: 9.28am WST, 21 February 2020.