This award recognises the fresh, enthusiastic and passionate approach that beginning teachers bring to their classrooms and to the profession.
They embrace technology and innovate in their approach to teaching and learning. They contribute to their school communities in many different ways.
The award category is for qualified teachers who have taught for up to three years and are working in our schools with a significant proportion of the week dedicated to classroom teaching.
The WA Beginning Teacher of the Year receives $25 000 (50% for professional development and 50% cash) and three finalists each receive $2500. See terms and conditions for more information.
Nominations must address each of the three selection criteria:
- professional knowledge
- professional practice
- professional engagement.
The selection criteria is based on the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
- The nominee may be nominated in only one staff category in any year.
- The nominee must be practising in the role they are being nominated for at the time of nomination.
- All professionally qualified teachers who have taught for up to three years (as of the 18 March 2019) and are currently teaching in a Western Australian public school, with a significant proportion of the week (0.6) dedicated to classroom teaching, are eligible.
- Previous winners (not finalists) of a WA Beginning Teacher of the Year award will not be considered for a 2019 award.
- Self-nomination in staff award categories will not be accepted.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- Joint nominations for staff operating on a tandem, team or job share basis will not be accepted.
Please submit four high resolution images of the person or school being nomninated. Include a mix of portrait and action shots for individual awards. Ensure images for whole school awards include students and staff, not empty grounds, buildings or classrooms. See these example photos for more help.
Nominations open Monday 1 April and close 5.00pm Friday 31 May. Finalists will be announced Tuesday 23 July.